Who Is at Fault in a Multi-Vehicle Accident?
Car accidents involving only one or two vehicles can be hard enough to deal with when determining fault. It can be hard to pinpoint if a driver, car part, or government agency are at fault for causing the collision through different acts of negligence. When multiple vehicles are involved, it can be even harder to determine who caused the auto wreck.
That’s why you should have a car accident lawyer on your side. At Corban Gunn, Attorney at Law, we have experience investigating fault in multi-vehicle accidents. Our attorneys are prepared to fight for you and ensure you get the justice you deserve for the injuries and damages you suffered.
Since fault can be complicated, especially in a multi-vehicle collision, let’s take a look at how fault is determined in Mississippi car wrecks.
Fault Laws in Mississippi
In our state, we follow comparative negligence when it comes to determining fault in a car accident. This makes determining fault in a multi-vehicle accident even more complex because each party could be partially liable for what happened in the chain reaction. Sometimes, only one driver was responsible because they were the only ones whose negligence caused the collisions between other vehicles.
However, if there was one main driver who was negligent, but many of the other drivers were negligent in smaller ways that contributed to the crash, then they would also be considered to have partial fault for the accident. This can be difficult for you if you were distracted at the time of the accident because that could mean you were partially at fault as well.
If you were being as safe as possible, though, and weren’t in any way at fault for the multi-vehicle collision you were involved in, it’s important to have a car accident lawyer on your side so that your rights are protected and the proper parties are held accountable. Let’s take a look at the different resources your attorneys will use to investigate fault in the collision.
What Helps Determine Fault?
As mentioned above, fault is complicated, especially when more than two vehicles were involved in the crash. Here are some of the ways a lawyer will be able to determine who was at fault and at what percentage they contributed to the multi-vehicle wreck that you were involved in:
- Police reports. Having a police report after an accident is not only legally required for an accident that causes over $500 worth of damage, injuries, or death, but it also provides an objective report of what happened immediately after the accident happened. Police reports include diagrams, witness statements, and who they believe to be at fault for the crash.
- Witness statements. These will be essential in determining fault because eyewitnesses can report what they saw and how the collision happened. You will be included in the witnesses who need to be interviewed so that you can give an objective report of what happened.
- Damages to vehicles. The damages that were caused to your vehicle and others will help experts recreate what happened, which helps evaluate who was at fault.
- Documentation of injuries. Your injuries will also help experts determine what happened and who caused the damages.
- Photographs of the scene. When there are photographs of the scene, it can help your lawyers get a better idea about which driver was at fault for the collision, or which drivers were collectively at fault for the accident.
- Other evidence. Other evidence from the collision, like weather reports or traffic cam footage if there was any, can give an even better picture of what happened.
You shouldn’t have to deal with all of this on your own. When you weren’t the one at fault for what happened, you deserve to be compensated for your injuries and other damages. That’s why having a car accident lawyer on your side can be beneficial—they can prove that you weren’t responsible for the multi-vehicle accident.
Corban Gunn, Attorney at Law Will Represent You
Since we follow comparative fault in Mississippi, your multi-vehicle accident can get complicated very quickly. That’s why you shouldn’t have to deal with all of this without having a Biloxi car accident lawyer to represent you. Corban Gunn, Attorney at Law is here to support you through the entire legal process and ensure your rights are protected.
We’ll find out who was at fault for this collision and make sure they’re held accountable for their actions. That way, you can get the compensation you deserve for your injuries and damages. Contact our office today so that we can get started on your claim.
How Are Airbnb Lawsuits Handled?