What to Consider If You’re Seriously Injured While on Vacation

Published on Dec 30, 2019 at 11:33 am in Legal Information.
What to Consider If You’re Seriously Injured While on Vacation

When you’re on vacation, you might expect to spend more money than you planned, or to go out to eat more often than not. But the last thing you expect to happen is an accident that leaves you seriously injured. If you’re vacationing out of state, that could make your personal injury claim even trickier.

Depending on where the person at fault for the accident is from, you might have to bring your case to their state. You might also be able to file in the state you were visiting. Where you file depends on where the accident took place, as well as where the person at fault is from.

Your First Steps

No matter where you are, there are certain steps you should always take immediately following an accident. Here’s what you should do, especially after a serious injury:

  • Make a report. Depending on the type of accident, you should call the police so that they can get on the scene quickly and document what happened. This way, they can make a report of the scene, talk to witnesses, and decide who they think is liable for the accident. If you’re at a place like your hotel, you should inform the manager of your accident, so they have a record of the incident that happened on their property.
  • Document the scene. Even though the police will do this, you’ll also want to take any pictures of the scene that you can. You’ll also want to collect information from any witnesses in case you need them on your side later.
  • Exchange information. Make sure that you exchange information with the liable party, including where they are from if they are from out of state. You’ll need their contact information when you file a claim later. When you’re talking to the other party, never apologize for what happened because that could be turned around to make you liable for the accident, even if it wasn’t your fault.
  • Seek medical attention. If you are seriously injured, it is safest for you to wait for an ambulance or emergency services to come to the scene. Moving could further complicate your injuries, so you should wait for professionals to tell you what to do. For less severe injuries, even if it’s days later, you should still seek a doctor’s help as soon as you think you might be hurt. If you’re vacationing in a place you don’t know very well, you might want to consult your insurance company before choosing a hospital so that you know the medical provider is in your network.
  • Call your insurance. Even though you weren’t at fault, you should still let your insurance know what happened, just in case the other party’s insurance will not cover your injuries.
  • Get a lawyer. Since the legal process is complicated, you’ll want a lawyer on your side to keep the process smooth and easy for you. In Mississippi, Corban Gunn can help you file a claim when someone else inflicted you with a serious injury.

This might sound like a straightforward process, but when this happens on vacation, things can get more complicated.

State Laws to Consider

If your accident took place in Mississippi, or the person at fault is from Mississippi, then you should be aware of state laws that apply to personal injury accidents. Since Mississippi is a pure comparative negligence state, if you are found to be at fault even the slightest amount, it could reduce your compensation.

According to state general code, section 11-7-5, your compensation will be diminished by the percentage you are at fault for an accident if both parties are found to be liable. For example, if you were in an accident caused by a distracted driver, but one of your brake lights were out, then you would be considered partially at fault for the collision and receive less money in damages.

Corban Gunn Can Fight for You

Filing a personal injury claim when you were hurt on vacation can be confusing. You shouldn’t have to worry about what you need to do legally because you should be focusing on healing from your injuries. That’s where Corban Gunn, Attorney at Law comes in. Our law office can guide you through the process of filing a claim and support you every step of the way after that.

You deserve to be represented by an experienced lawyer who has your best interests in mind. Contact us today so that we can discuss your claim and you can start focusing on healing.



If you can’t call us, fill out the form below. Our initial case evaluations for personal injury cases are always free. No strings attached.