After getting into a car crash that wasn’t your fault, you might realize you suffered from injuries and other damages. You don’t have to deal with those alone. Having a car accident lawyer on your side can help you recover compensation for all the damages you’ve incurred. Even though they’ll guide you through the process, you might still be wondering what their steps will be for investigating what happened.
Here are the steps in a car accident investigation so that you can fully understand what your lawyer is doing to help get you justice in your claim:
- Gather evidence and documentation. The first thing that your lawyer will do is gather all of the evidence and documentation that’s available from the collision. This includes police reports and photographs of the scene. This will enable your attorney to get a better idea about what happened, where it occurred, who was at fault, and what kinds of damages were done at the scene. They’ll also gather data like insurance information, weather conditions at the time, and any other objects that were in the road.
- Contact witnesses. Even though there will be witness statements in the police report and other documents, your lawyer will get the contact information for any witnesses so that they can interview them. Witnesses will be valuable in the investigation because they will be able to objectively say what they saw. Anyone involved in the accident is also considered a witness, so your statements will be included.
- Investigate injuries and damages. Injuries and damages can be very telling about an accident and what happened. Your medical bills, treatment costs, and repair receipts can all help your lawyer determine exactly what caused them to happen.
- Examine vehicles for defective parts. Sometimes vehicle defects can be the cause of a crash. That’s why your attorney will look into the vehicles involved to determine if any parts were defective.
- Hire experts. There are experts that your lawyer will consult, like accident reconstructionists, who will help them figure out the details of the accident. They will use all of the data and documentation that they collected so that they can get an accurate picture of what happened and who was at fault for the crash.
Since you’re dealing with your injuries and other damages, you might feel like you don’t have time to file a car accident claim and go through with an investigation. That’s why a lawyer from Corban Gunn, Attorney at Law is here for you. We’ll cover the legal side of things while you focus on healing and getting back to normal.
Let’s take a look at how you can help your attorney and ensure the investigation goes as smoothly as possible.
How You Can Help Your Lawyer
Even though your car accident lawyer is prepared to handle every part of your case, including the investigation, there are ways that you can be helpful and ensure that it goes smoothly. The number one way that you can be of help is to be open and honest with your attorney. They’ll need to know everything that happened, and want to help you, which is why they need you to be as honest as possible about the accident and what you experienced.
When your lawyer asks you for any documentation, you’ll want to give them everything you have. Your medical records, bills, lost wages, repair costs, insurance information, and all other documents you have to prove the costs and damages you suffered will also be essential to your claim. If you got the other person’s contact information and any contacts for witnesses at the scene, then you should include that information as well.
Your lawyer’s goal is to help you. That’s why it’s important to listen to them and give them all of the information you have. The more you give them to work with, the more they can help you, and the less you’ll have to worry about your claim. They want you to have the strongest case possible and get you full and fair compensation. With your willingness to help throughout the process, they can do that for you.
Reach Out to Corban Gunn, Attorney at Law
Car accident investigations can be stressful when you were the victim of a collision. You might feel like the process is making you relive the experience, and it could cause you a lot of turmoil. A Biloxi car accident lawyer from our firm knows how difficult this can be for you, which is why we’re here to support you and make the investigation be as easy as possible.
At Corban Gunn, Attorney at Law, our goal is to get you the justice you deserve. We’re prepared to fight for you to ensure that your rights are protected. Contact our office today so that we can get started working for you right away.