Many people choose to ride motorcycles because they feel more free than regular vehicles. However, the benefits of riding a motorcycle can turn into the negatives when you get into an accident. Being on a smaller vehicle makes it harder for other cars to see you, and many drivers won’t be vigilant because they’re expecting bigger cars on the road. Since you’re exposed and don’t have protection other than a helmet, you can be seriously injured if you’re hit while on your bike.
If a driver’s negligence leads to you suffering from injuries and subsequent damages while riding your motorbike, you could use the help of our Ocean Springs motorcycle accident lawyer. We’ll fully investigate what happened and determine who was at fault for your collision so that you can financially recover what you deserve. Meanwhile, you can focus on physically and emotionally recovering.
What Causes Accidents with Motorcyclists?
Unfortunately, there are many different ways that accidents between motorists and motorcyclists can get into collisions. Depending on how the biker is hit, they could suffer serious injuries or get thrown off their motorcycle. Here are some of the different causes of motorcycle accidents that happen in Ocean Springs and the rest of Mississippi:
- Head-On. If a motorcyclist loses control of their bike and swerves out of their lane, or if the driver of a regular vehicle leaves their lane, it can cause a head-on collision between the two vehicles. These are especially dangerous for the riders because they aren’t protected and only have a helmet to keep their head safe from the blow.
- Left Turn. When a motorcyclist is making a left turn at an intersection, a regular motorist who is passing straight through the intersection might not notice them and can cause an accident. Similarly, if a regular vehicle is making a left turn at an intersection, they could fail to see a motorcycle passing through the intersection and hit them.
- Road Hazards. Since motorcycles only have two wheels and are lower to the ground than other vehicles, they are more susceptible to being affected by road hazards. Potholes and other problems with the roads could cause serious accidents for motorcyclists and cause them to lose control of their bike.
- Lane Splitting. When traffic is moving slowly or at a standstill, motorcyclists might be tempted to lane split, or ride in between the stopped cars. Even though their bike is small enough to do this, that doesn’t mean they should. Lane splitting can cause serious accidents because other motorists are not expecting the motorcyclists to be passing between their cars. Lane splitting is not allowed in Mississippi.
- Driver Error. Motorcyclists, much like other drivers, sometimes get distracted, make poor choices while driving, or drive drunk. All of these decisions can lead to serious accidents for the rider and any other vehicles on the road.
- Defective Parts. Just like any other vehicle, motorcycles can have defective parts that malfunction and cause accidents. Tires, brakes, and other parts can be defective when they’re installed, poorly maintained, or sold to the rider by a company who knew the parts weren’t up to par. When this happens, the manufacturer or seller is usually at fault.
If any of the above scenarios happened to you and caused you to suffer injuries as a result, then you could use the help of an Ocean Springs motorcycle accident attorney. When you weren’t at fault for the collision, you shouldn’t have to worry about how you’re going to pay for these damages. That’s why one of our lawyers is here to help you recover what you deserve.
Common Motorcycle Crash Injuries
As mentioned above, motorcycle accidents can cause severe injuries, and can often lead to death. According to the Mississippi Office of Highway Safety, 40 motorcyclists died in crashes in 2018, and 7 of those riders weren’t wearing helmets. When the accidents aren’t fatal, they can result in serious injuries that change the biker’s life.
Here are some of the injuries that can happen when a motorcyclist is crashed into:
- Bruises and cuts
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Road rash
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Loss of limb
You shouldn’t have to handle the costs of these injuries on your own when you weren’t the person or party who caused the accident. Your medical bills, repair costs, lost wages, and any other bills that have piled up as a result of the accident can be counted as damages that you can recover from the responsible party.
An Ocean Springs motorcycle accident lawyer will calculate exactly what you’re owed so you don’t settle for less than you deserve. We’ll fight hard to get you compensation that helps you get your life back on track and allow you to focus on healing.
Corban Gunn Will Fight for You
At Corban Gunn, Attorney at Law, we understand how stressful life can become after a collision that leaves you with injuries and piling costs. Our Ocean Springs motorcycle accident attorney will help you recover the compensation so you can have peace of mind. We’ll handle the legal side of things so you can focus on what really matters—recovery. Reach out to our office today so we can get started.