Driving a car takes careful attention and skill. Since it’s become such a common task that we do all the time, drivers have been desensitized to the risk that comes with driving a large, heavy machine at high speeds. Even the smallest mistake or distraction while behind the wheel can lead to a severe accident with serious consequences, like tickets, arrests, and injuries caused to other people.
When you’ve been in an accident caused by a negligent driver and you were injured, then you could use the help of an Ocean Springs car accident lawyer from Corban Gunn, Attorney at Law. We have experience representing victims of car accidents and will fight to protect your rights and get you justice for what you’ve suffered.
Causes of Car Accidents
Even though accidents can’t always be avoided, you should always be as careful as possible. You could be driving as safely as possible and still get into a collision because of someone else’s negligence or mistakes behind the wheel. Here are some of the most common causes of car accidents that happen in Ocean Springs:
- Distracted Driving. A driver’s attention should always be on the task at hand—driving. When they pay attention to anything other than the road or operating their vehicle, they can cause a serious collision that harms themselves and others. If a driver uses their phone, messes with the radio, or is eating behind the wheel, they would be considered to be driving while distracted.
- Drowsy Driving. Driving when you’re tired can be just as bad as driving while drunk, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). When drivers are drowsy, their reaction times are slowed down, and they could fall asleep at the wheel. Being less attentive from exhaustion is bound to lead to more accidents.
- Speeding. Driving faster might make you feel like you’re getting somewhere more quickly, but it could cause you to get into more serious situations instead of getting you where you need to go. When you travel at higher speeds, even the smallest movement can become much bigger and cause you to lose control and wreck. Also, other cars don’t expect you to be going so fast and can crash into you because they’re not anticipating you to be in a spot so quickly.
- Driving Under the Influence. Driving drunk or under the influence of substances is illegal for a reason—it’s incredibly dangerous. Much like drowsy driving, when you’re drunk behind the wheel, your reaction times are slowed, your judgement is impaired, and you could fall asleep or take your eyes off the road for extended periods of time.
- Aggressive Driving. Similar to speeding, aggressive driving can also cause accidents. When a driver becomes aggressive, they make reckless decisions, like speeding and cutting off other cars. This can easily lead to collisions with drivers who are following the rules of the road.
- Defective Auto Parts. Sometimes crashes aren’t either driver’s fault. When an auto part is defective and malfunctions while someone is driving, it can cause an accident. If the brakes fail or tires blow out, then two cars can collide and suffer from injuries and other damages at the fault of the part manufacturer or seller of the auto part.
Regardless of what caused your accident, when you weren’t the one at fault and you incurred injuries or other damages, then you should hold the responsible party accountable for their actions. With the help of an Ocean Springs car accident attorney from our firm, you can have peace of mind knowing we’ll build you a strong case and get you the compensation you deserve.
Mississippi Statute of Limitations
When you’re considering hiring a car accident lawyer to represent you in a claim against a negligent driver, the first thing they’ll look into is whether or not your case is within the statute of limitations. If you wait too long after your accident, you could exceed this timeline and be unable to file a claim. According to Mississippi Code, the statute of limitations for car accident claims is three years from the date of the accident.
This is why it’s important to seek medical attention immediately after a car accident, regardless of whether or not you think you’re injured. When you’re evaluated quickly, you can start treating your injuries and get documentation of all the harm the collision caused you. That way, you can know right away whether you need to file a claim and get legal help before the statute of limitations runs out.
An Ocean Springs car accident lawyer can help you determine if you’re within the timeline to file a claim and your best course of legal action moving forward.
Corban Gunn, Attorney at Law Will Represent You
Injuries from car crashes can change your life. Not only can you be physically and emotionally injured from a collision, but it can also harm you financially when you accrue bills and miss out on work and wages. At Corban Gunn, Attorney at Law, we understand how difficult it can be to bounce back from these injuries when you’re trying to heal and pay your piling bills while not being able to return to work.
Our Ocean Springs car accident lawyer has plenty of experience and knows how to handle your claim so you get the compensation that you deserve. We won’t let you settle for less. Reach out to our office today so we can help.