How Are Medical Bills Paid After a Car Accident in Mississippi?

Published on May 8, 2020 at 5:19 am in Car Accidents.
How Are Medical Bills Paid After a Car Accident in Mississippi?

The force of a car accident has the potential to impose a variety of injuries on the occupants of the vehicles. If you’ve been in a car accident, it’s important to seek medical attention immediately, so you can be evaluated. The doctor will determine the extent of your injuries and help you develop a treatment plan so you can work toward recovery.

While you’re recovering, it’s likely you’ll start to receive medical statements and bills in the mail. Depending on your medical insurance, the amounts owed may be high. If that’s the case, it’s important to understand how medical bills are paid after a car accident in Mississippi.

How the Traditional Fault-Based System Affects Financial Responsibility

Mississippi follows a traditional fault-based system when determining responsibility for car accident injuries, lost wages, and property damage. Essentially, the person who caused the accident is responsible for the harm they caused. In most cases, the at-fault driver’s insurance carrier will absorb the losses and cut the victim a check—but only up to the policy limits.

Under the state’s compulsory automobile liability insurance system, all drivers have to maintain liability insurance and carry proof that their vehicle is insured. The minimum amounts of coverage include $25,000 in liability coverage for bodily injury or death of one person in an accident, $50,000 in liability coverage for total bodily injury or death liability in a crash, and $25,000 in liability coverage for property damage.

Liability coverage pays for medical bills, property damage bills, and other costs the injured party incurs as a result of the accident. Once policy limits are exhausted, the at-fault party is personally responsible for any remaining costs.

Understanding Your Claim Options

To ensure you receive the compensation you need to pay your medical bills after an accident, you need to understand what types of claims you may be able to file. Depending on your situation, you might file a claim with your own insurance company, a third-party claim, or a personal injury lawsuit.

Filing a Claim with Your Insurance Company

If you file a claim with your own insurance company, it’s likely they will pursue a subrogation claim against the at-fault driver’s carrier. The adjuster assigned to your case will investigate the accident to determine where the other driver went wrong and what losses you suffered as a result. They will then seek compensation from that insurer to pay for your losses.

You may also need to file a claim with your insurance company if you were in a hit-and-run accident and police were unable to determine who hit you, or if the driver that hit you is uninsured or underinsured.

Filing a Third-Party Claim

In most situations, you will file a claim directly with the at-fault driver’s insurance company. An adjuster will be assigned to the case and will conduct a thorough investigation. In order to maximize your settlement, it’s a good idea to work with a lawyer. The adjuster will try to reduce what their company owes you through a number of different tactics. When you have a lawyer handle the conversations, your claim won’t be jeopardized.

Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit

In the event you cannot reach a settlement agreement through an insurance company claim, you have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit in civil court against the at-fault driver. As this is the most complex way to resolve a car accident claim, it will take time. You could be looking at months or more before an official verdict is reached.

Resolve Medical Debt with Corban Gunn

You shouldn’t have to worry about finances and medical bills while you’re trying to recover from car accident injuries. Unnecessary stress has the potential to exacerbate your condition and hinder your body’s ability to heal itself.

In order to reduce your stress and ensure you receive the compensation you need to take care of your accident-related medical debt, get in touch with the Biloxi personal injury lawyer you can trust.

When you work with Corban Gunn, Attorney at Law, you’ll be able to put your focus on your recovery, while he handles your legal matters. While he’ll fight for a full and fair settlement, he won’t hesitate to head to trial on your behalf to ensure you get the compensation and justice you deserve.

Filing a claim takes time, so it’s best to get in touch with an attorney as soon as possible after a crash. Contact us today to set up a free consultation. We’ll review what you’ve been through and determine the best way to secure your future.



If you can’t call us, fill out the form below. Our initial case evaluations for personal injury cases are always free. No strings attached.