When you’re injured on the job, you may have significant medical bills and you’ll need to take time to recover. When a workplace injury occurs, you may think about filing for workers’ compensation. This can provide the benefits you need to help you cover your medical expenses. However, handling this on your own could mean you’re not getting all the benefits you deserve. To protect your rights and have the best chance of getting the compensation you deserve, a Gulfport workers’ compensation lawyer from Corban Gunn, Attorney at Law can provide the help you need.
Residents of Gulfport are hardworking, dedicated individuals who deserve to have someone who will stand up for them after work accidents. Corban Gunn, Attorney at Law represents Gulfport residents and will fiercely advocate for your right to compensation.
What Are the Common Injuries That Occur After a Work Accident?
When a work accident happens, there are a number of injuries that can occur. Whether you work in construction, manufacturing, food service, or in an office, injuries are possible. Workers may have the following injuries:
- Head Injuries
- Facial Injuries
- Broken Bones
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Repetitive Motion Injuries
While some injuries may heal, some of these injuries can have long-lasting consequences. If you sustain a brain injury, disfigurement, paralysis, or reduced function of a part of your body, you may not be able to return to your position. In these cases, you may need immediate extensive medical care and future care as well.
If you have an injury that caused a disability, you may also be eligible for disability benefits. There are different kinds of disability: permanent partial disability and permanent total disability. Partial disability means you can still work, but not at the same capacity as before the accident. Total disability means you can no longer work in the position you had.
Both these outcomes are extremely difficult to deal with and you deserve to recover disability benefits. Compiling the evidence you need for your claim can be done with the help of a workers’ compensation lawyer.
What Should You Do After a Work Accident?
After a work accident, you may be in shock from what happened. However, your actions after the accident can help you later on. It’s important that you take certain steps to inform the appropriate parties of what happened and document the incident as well as your injuries. This way, you’ll have evidence of the accident and how you were hurt, which can help you with your claim. Make sure to do the following after a work accident:
- Report the Accident. Inform the supervisor, manager, or the person in charge that you’ve been hurt. You’ll make a report of the accident. In this report, write down what happened in as much detail as possible, but don’t guess or embellish details, as this could put your claim in jeopardy.
- Preserve Evidence. Evidence of your injuries and the environment where it happened can help your case. Photographs of your injuries and how they progress will show their severity. You may also want to photograph the scene of the accident, as you may document details of unsafe conditions that led to the accident.
- Seek Medical Attention. It’s important to get a medical evaluation from your doctor. They’ll be able to assess the injuries you sustained from the work accident and the care you’ll need to recover. This will also provide documentation that you needed to seek medical attention after the accident and it proves you were injured because of what happened.
- Contact a Workers’ Compensation Lawyer. Before filing for workers’ compensation, get in touch with an experienced lawyer who will help you go over your rights. You may be eligible for more than you realize.
With a lawyer at your side, you can rest assured that your rights are protected. Corban Gunn, Attorney at Law will work diligently to help you get the benefits you deserve.
Do You Have Other Options Than Workers’ Compensation?
When you’re seeking compensation after a work injury, you may be eligible for more than workers’ compensation. Workers’ compensation protects both employers and employees because it can provide you with benefits regardless of negligence or fault. You’ll have your medical costs and lost wages covered and the employer doesn’t have to worry about litigation.
However, what if you were in a work environment that had third parties onsite? This is common for construction sites, whether contractors outside of the company were hired or equipment from another company was rented. If one of those parties acted negligently, you may be able to file a personal injury claim.
Filing a personal injury claim involves showing how the other side was negligent and their negligence caused your injuries and suffering. When it comes to seeing what you’re eligible to recover, the best way to see this is to go over your options with a workers’ compensation lawyer.
How Can a Gulfport Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Help You?
No matter the way you’re seeking compensation, you need to have a lawyer at your side to protect your rights. They’ll also be able to defend you in case there are disputes over your claim. Questions about the following may affect your claim:
- If your injuries were work-related
- How long your recovery will take
- If you’ll receive compensation for disability
If your claim was denied, you still have options. We can help you appeal the decision and help gather evidence to present a strong case for a re-evaluation.
Recovering from injuries takes time and care. You shouldn’t have to worry about how you’re going to get the treatment you need or if you’ll need to return to work before you’re ready. Corban Gunn, Attorney at Law is here for you so you’ll be able to get the compensation and benefits you need to recover in peace.
To get started on your claim, give our office a call today. We’ll go over the accident, how you were hurt, and the options you have in a free case evaluation. Then, you can proceed to moving past the incident and toward healing.