From its river and lakes to its state parks, Mississippi is filled with boating and water recreation opportunities. While these activities can provide an entire summer’s worth of family fun, devastating accidents happen when people neglect their responsibilities as boat owners and operators.
Mississippi Boating Accident Statistics
- Nationally, 4,291 boating accidents occurred, resulting in 2,629 injuries and 658 deaths.
- In Mississippi, 34 boating accidents resulted in 6 deaths.
- 76 percent of the time the victim drowned; and 84.5 percent of the time that person was not wearing a lifejacket.
- Alcohol was found to be the primary cause of the accidents, resulting in 19 percent of the fatalities.
- 81 percent of deaths occurred on boats where the operator had not taken the required boating safety class.