Driving is a necessity when you need to get from point A to point B. But you can’t just get in a car and drive. Like many states, you need auto insurance before driving in Mississippi. If you plan on cruising around Biloxi, you need to know the basics of the state’s automobile insurance laws so that you’re protected legally and have peace of mind if an accident occurs.
What’s Required by Law?
Your auto insurance covers you in the event of a car accident and protects you from most of the worry that goes along with a crash. If any damage is done, your policy protects you from financial losses because it offsets any bills that you might accumulate.
According to Mississippi House Bill 621, all drivers are required to have liability insurance and carry a card in their vehicle at all times that proves this. In 2013, this was updated so that drivers can either carry a paper copy of their card, or they can present an electronic copy on their cell phone to an officer. The minimum liability requirements for auto insurance are:
- $25,000 per person for a single accident
- $50,000 per accident for bodily injury
- $25,000 per accident for property damage
The most effective way to meet these requirements is to have automobile liability insurance, but there are other ways to meet these standards if an accident occurs. You can post bond for these amounts or make a cash deposit equal to the minimum requirements, and you would be legally meeting the requirements for auto insurance laws.
Those ways are accepted after an accident but aren’t your best option if you get pulled over and asked for proof of insurance. If you can’t present proof of insurance, Mississippi law says you’ll be fined $1,000 and your driving privileges will be suspended for one year. If you can show proof of insurance the next day, you’ll be able to drive again, but you’ll still be fined.
Not Required, but Recommended
Even if it weren’t required by law, you should still want auto insurance so that you’re covered in the event of a car accident. There are some optional additions to your policy that would be smart for you to have. If you want to be covered in all situations, you can go above the minimum and add these to your policy:
- Comprehensive. This package insures you for physical damages that happen without a collision, like theft, vandalism, fire, or other unforeseen scenarios.
- Collision. Although this is similar to the liability requirements, you can also add collision coverage that will take care of any damages that occur from a collision with another car or an object.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. This coverage protects you if you get into an accident with a driver who doesn’t have proper insurance and they were at fault.
- Medical. This policy helps you regardless of who was at fault and covers medical and funeral expenses for you and any passengers in your car.
Need a Car Accident Lawyer?
After a car crash, you already have enough you’re dealing with, so the last thing you need is an inexperienced lawyer. That’s why you should reach out to Corban Gunn, an experienced car accident lawyer based in Biloxi, MS. With his legal representation, you can be at ease about your claim, because he will take care of the complexities and win you the appropriate compensation. For a free consultation of your case, contact us today.