The holiday season usually brings a lot of opportunities to be with friends and family and celebrate this time of the year. But what people don’t think about is the reality of driving drunk.
781 people died in crashes involved with a drunk driver in December 2016. The U.S. Department of Transportation reported that over the past 5 years, about 300 people died because of drunk drivers between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
How Can You Avoid Drunk Driving on New Year’s?
During the holidays, you’ll probably have a few parties on your schedule. While these are fun, you should prepare for how you’re going to get home so you don’t feel like driving drunk is your only option.
One of the best ways to avoid drunk driving is to create a game plan before you go to a party. You won’t have to worry about figuring out logistics when you’re tired and ready to go home when the party is over. There are also ways to help your friends avoid drunk driving.
- Have a Designated Driver. If you’re going out with a group of people, one person can be the designated driver. They won’t drink alcohol that night and will get everyone home.
- Use Uber, Lyft, or Call a Taxi. Consider using a car service to get you home. Uber and Lyft have apps that are easy to use, or you can always get a cab.
- Offer Non-Alcoholic Beverages and Food. As a host of a party, you can help by offering alternatives to alcohol. With non-alcoholic drink options and food, people might not drink as much as they would if alcohol was the only option.
- Take Keys. As a host, it’s going to be difficult to keep track of everyone as the party goes on. Take car keys as people arrive and store them somewhere safe so you don’t have to worry about drunk people leaving to drive home. People might be annoyed or think you’re being too protective, but it’s worth it if it prevents someone from getting behind the wheel when they’re intoxicated.
- Ask a Friend for a Ride. If you didn’t plan how you’re getting back and don’t know what to do, you can always ask a friend for a ride or help getting a ride home.
Every alternative is better than driving drunk. It isn’t worth the risk, and when you drive drunk, you’re risking everyone’s lives on the road.
Do You Need a Biloxi Car Accident Lawyer?
Car accidents can seriously affect your life. Drunk driving is not worth the consequences. But this doesn’t stop everyone from driving drunk.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car crash in Biloxi that was caused by a drunk driver, hiring a car accident lawyer will give you a better chance of getting full compensation. Corban Gunn has the experience and the tenacity to get you the compensation you need.
Call our law firm today at 228.284.6805 for a free consultation.
Don’t Let Your Christmas Tree Become a Fire Hazard